Announcement: Lee Ramey’s New Mold Book!
After many months of work culminated in Lee Ramey’s new paperback book now on Amazon. The title is Mold (Does Not Have To Be) A Scary Subject.
Words from the author himself: “I thought there was a real need for a book like this”, says Lee, "So many of the books that I have read over the years was for professionals using much jargon, that didn’t mean much to the average person. Other books talked about how to fight insurance companies, or how to use herbs or other medical remedies to feel better. All these have a place, but I did not see a simple straightforward answer to the question,
‘What happens now that I’ve found mold in my house?'"
“I tried to write it in such a way that you can enjoy it as a straight read through in a chronological order of most mold situations. But you can skip directly to a chapter that you have the most questions about if need be.”
“It is 66 Pages long with graphics and pictures, it is an easy read, and will take a little over an hour to read it through. If you follow all the endnotes and links in the back that support my thoughts, then you need to set aside a day or two. It is scientifically accurate, it was even technically reviewed by a retired research Scientist, Professor that specialized in the immunological aspects of the lungs.”
You can find it on Amazon.com by searching Mold book Ramey or here is the direct link: https://goo.gl/kuqdVL
Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like on my iPhone.
ASK THE MILDUDE!
Who is at particular risk from mold exposure? High levels of molds are not healthy for anyone inside of a building. People often at higher risk even at low levels are infants, the elderly, those with compromised immune systems (HIV infection, liver disease, or those undergoing chemotherapy or radiation therapy), pregnant women, and individuals with existing respiratory conditions, such as allergies, multiple chemical sensitivities, and asthma, pneumonia, or bronchitis.
Healthy, active people are less likely to have adverse reactions at first. However, extended exposure to molds can be a health risk to anyone. If you have concerns about your health, you should consult a physician for advice.
Does mold affect everyone the same way? No. Some individuals have a genetic makeup that puts them at risk for developing allergies to mold. People who have an allergy to mold, especially if they also have asthma, can become ill from exposure to even a small amount of mold. Individuals also seem to be quite different in their response to exposure to the toxic chemicals that some molds release. These differences make it difficult to say for sure what the safe limit is for mold exposure.
At Mold and Mildew Solutions LLC, we are often asked our professional opinion about a wide variety of issues about moisture and mold in the home. Here are some of the questions we get asked most often, along with our tested answers and guidance.
Particles 101: (Warning NERD ALERT!) A micron is a millionth of a meter. What does that mean? Particles on furniture and those in a shaft of light are approximately 50 microns or larger. Most harmful particles are 3 microns or fewer in size. Particles of 1 micron or less adhere to surfaces by molecular adhesion. (Translation: Small junk floating in the air are too small to see) Scrubbing is generally the only way to remove them. Larger particles tend to settle out of the atmosphere due to weight. Smaller, "respirable" particles remain virtually suspended in the air until breathed in. Approximately 98-99% of all particles by count are in the size range of 5 microns or less. These particles tend to remain in suspension or settle out so slowly that only quality electronic air cleaners and HEPA air cleaners are effective in removing these particles.
An average person breathes in about 16,000 quarts of air per day. Each quart contains some 70,000 visible and invisible particles. That's over a billion particles per day that our lungs must filter out! An average human red blood cell is approximately 5 microns in diameter. The average diameter of human hair is roughly 0.0035 inches in diameter, equivalent to 75 microns.
Is it possible to completely eliminate mold from the inside of a home or office building? The Mildude’s short answer to that question would be, NO. However, though, the answer depends upon what is meant by “completely eliminate mold.” To keep a building completely free of mold spores requires very efficient air filtration and is only accomplished in special situations like hospital operating rooms and manufacturing “clean rooms.” Remember, mold spores are in the outside air virtually all the time and some of them will get inside buildings.
However, it is possible to keep mold from growing inside a building. Moisture control is the key to controlling mold in interior spaces. Air filtration can contribute to lowering mold spores in the air but is secondary to moisture control.
AKA the #Mildude, Lee has for decades