HOW TO DETECT BLACK MOLD SMELL EARLY IN YOUR HOME
Black molds love hiding in dark places, away from natural light. This may also be a preservative habit because, not only do they thrive in dark places, they thrive especially more because they are hidden from us. If we can’t see them, can we at least smell them?
Yes, we can!
The first thing to note about the smell is its musty and somewhat earthy tone. It can be a bit choking, as you will feel a level of tightening in your nose when you move near it and accidentally inhale the smell. Sometimes, it may lead to difficulty in breathing, especially when you are exposed to it for a long period of time.
To describe this smell better, it is the smell that greets you when you enter a building that has been waterlogged for a long while. It is also the odor you perceive when you enter an old building that has been long exposed to the rain.
Taking it back into your home, it will be the dank smell you get when furniture upholstery has been wet for a while. It is an indication that mold may have started growing from the inside, feeding on the moldy material. It is anything but fresh.
Speaking about freshness, do you remember the experience you have when you inhale that somewhat earthy smell when you opened your grandma’s old trunk suddenly?
One more example would be the smell you inhale when some food have been left uneaten for a while, exposed to the elements. When you see it, you’ll see mold already growing on it. All these are pointers to the growth of mold in your home.
Because of how black mold loves to grow in dark and hidden places, it can be hard to the pinpoint where exactly in the house the black mold is, just by looking around. A lot of people therefore try following their nose wherever it leads them.
This can be really dangerous, though. When you try searching for the areas where black mold has affected in your home, you are exposing yourself to the risk of breathing too much of it, or worse, even inhaling the dangerous mold spores that are airborne, since they are too small to be seen by just the naked eyes.
Beyond inhaling the mold spores, you also risk getting irritations of the eyes and skin as you scout for the black mold smell. This is due largely to the fact that, since you can smell it, it is because there are a good amount of the mold spores in the air. The longer you expose yourself to them, the more the effect you experience.
It gets worse if you are asthmatic or have a high sensitivity to allergies like this. The safest thing to do is to leave the detection to the professionals who can bring in their equipment to conduct a thorough scanning, which will help you find out the cause of the mold growth, fix it, and prevent it from returning.
At Mold and Mildew Solutions LLC, we believe we are in part what we inhale. That is why we are dedicated to keeping your home safe from black mold and its spores. We will love to work with you in keeping your home mold-free.
Contact us today at:
Mold and Mildew Solutions LLC
AKA the #Mildude, Lee has for decades