What Is Toxic Mold?
Ask ten people about toxic mold, and it won’t be surprising to get ten different responses. No matter who you ask, though, one of the things they would agree on is that toxic mold is not the most desirable thing they would want to have around – and for good reasons. But the question lingers: What are toxic mold?
Toxic mold, also known by the name black mold, is actually a name given by lawyers and the media to Stachybotrys chartarum, also called Stachybotrys atra, Stachybotrys alternans. For simplicity, we’ll just stick to the media name.
This mold is known as black mold for its black appearance. It is one of the over 100,000 species of mold that those who study molds (mycologists) have identified and described so far. Many believe there are much more, with estimates going as high as 1.5 million.
Mold is not an evil alien creature with the sole purpose of destroying your life and everything you love. Actually, it is not even a plant or an animal at all. It is a very small organism from the fungi kingdom which acts like the nature’s garbage disposal. Its purpose is to dissolve all organic material that falls to the earth.
Without the help of mold and bacteria, every organic material that drops down, from leaves and branches to dead animal bodies, would pile up. Within a short period the whole earth would be a mess without them. It is organisms like mold that help break them down and dissolve them.
Through their work, many other living organisms can get access to what they need to survive. For example, by breaking down dead leaves and animal bodies, the living plants get access to compost that supplies them with essential nutrients to keep growing. Molds are essential part of life. As you can see, they are just doing their jobs.
Unfortunately, not all fungi are safe for human. And molds are not always man’s best friend. This unfriendly mold is called toxic mold, and can be hazardous to health. Just like other molds, it secretes compounds known as mycotoxins. These toxins can be toxic to humans and other organisms.
Mycologists believe these toxins are produced as a protection against competing organisms. The problem is, humans have to bear the brunt of this defense mechanism. Some of these mycotoxins are so hazardous; mycologists have advised humans to reduce their exposure to it to the barest minimum possible.
People with allergies, asthma and other lung diseases or similar health issues usually find themselves at an increased risk of being adversely affected by the effects of mycotoxins. Even for those who are otherwise healthy but sensitive to mycotoxins, they may also develop symptoms of upper-respiratory tract problems.
Even if you yourself seem unaffected, you cannot speak for your family members. Because our immune systems are different, the ways they respond vary as well. What one person’s immune system might successfully ward off might breach someone else’s immune system walls, breaking into the body and bringing about various damages.
The hazard can range from allergic reactions to irritation in the mucous membranes. It could even be life threatening. Because the behaviors of this organism vary and its effects differ from one individual together, it is so easy to mistake its symptoms for those noticed during many other health conditions.
Apart from respiratory difficulties like wheezing, other symptoms they can cause include headaches, fever, sore throat, skin problems, nasal congestion and chronic fatigue. They can also be responsible for more serious allergic reactions.
Take, for example, Aspergillosis (also called Farmers Lung) This is a potentially fatal lung disease that toxics mold can cause. The symptoms are cough, chest pain fever. It is easy to dismiss the symptoms as just some other condition, until it becomes more serious. This is why it is important to kill their growth in our homes and wherever we are.
Molds are found everywhere, but they can be effectively controlled. The solution is simple, really, keep your house “Clean and Dry” So the most important things to note if you want to keep the growth and spread of toxic molds in check is to have the adequate knowledge of the conditions that aid its growth.
Below are four elements that all mold needs to survive and even thrive in the house. If these elements are taken care of, you can greatly inhibit the growth and spread of toxic mold.
If these four elements are well managed, you can greatly increase your chance of inhibiting the growth of toxic molds. But then, it is always easier said than done. Toxic molds can be tough to remove if you as a homeowner want to do it yourself. The good news is, you don’t have to.
At Alabama mold, we help you get rid of toxic molds and restore your house to its beautiful, healthy state. We are not just experienced professionals with proven scientific procedures for getting our job done, we are also humans and do care about you and your home.
Feel free to place a call across to us and let’s discuss how to make your home safe again.
Mold and Mildew Solutions LLC
AKA the #Mildude, Lee has for decades